Roots To Branches
Share your story.
Roots To Branches?
Funded by Calgary Arts Development Authority and the City of Calgary, Roots to Branches is a documentary produced by Woezo Africa Music & Dance Theatre Inc. This documentary project will give a voice to African, Caribbean and Black youth (aged 12-22). These stories will be told with a multimedia approach, using both live action footage and snippets of animation.
These stories will showcase a wide range of the Black youth experience in Calgary, as well as be used to inform and create change in settings and systems where youth are impacted the most. The youth will get to provide their stories in their own words and their stylistic input throughout the project.
Your lived experiences are important. Your voice is important. You are important. We want to support and empower our Black youth to take control of their own narrative in a safe space.Through this project, we hope you can join us in sharing your story. Participants do not need to disclose their identity in the documentary but are invited to have input in the creative direction.
Hear from Black youths like you as to why this project is important
What to Expect?
If you are a Black youth in Calgary ages 12-22 we would love to hear from you. Fill out this quick google form with a bit about you and a brief description of your story. We will then connect with you via zoom or over the phone to discuss the next steps, including creative direction and scheduling. This discussion goes both ways, so feel free to ask any questions you have
- Applications open: October 4, 2021.
- Applications close:
January 31, 2022.
- Your first initial meeting with the Program Coordinator will be during the week of Monday, February 7, 2022.
- You will connect with the team every 2 weeks until the project is complete to discuss creative direction, progress, etc. This will be based on your availability and will not get in the way of school and other commitments.
Resources and Support
We understand that some of these stories may be hard to tell and reliving our trauma as Black people can be distressing. Please know that we are here to support you. Each participant will have access to:
● Counselling from Black Counsellors for the duration of the project.
● Mentorship from Black community leaders.
● A safe space to connect with other black youth to build community support for one another.
● A $250 honorarium as appreciation for your time.
If you would like for your child to participate but are unsure, please connect with us and we will be happy to discuss any concerns you may have.
Please note that we will ensure your child’s safety both mentally, emotionally, and physically. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.